Friday, April 07, 2006

Of Hands and Heartattacks

Several days ago I was surfing the world of internet posting and I stumbled across a site where a man said that he had had a troubling dream the night before. Being a victim of troubling dreams myself, I left a comment saying that if he told it I would describe my latest and we could compare. Well he has, and so to keep my word, not to mention I have nothing else to post about, here is the latest adventure from the mind of W.C.


Many moons ago, while sleeping peacefully in my bed, I was visited by three spirits. Wait, that's not the right story. Here's the right one.

During the night I found myself in that half awake state, where you are aware of your surroundings but as soon as you turn over, you fall right back asleep. This happens occasionally and usually I just turn over and go back to sleep. This time though something was different. Even though I was half asleep I could feel a hand gripping my arm! In case you don't know me I am single, sleep alone, and don't share my bed with anyone, so this was completely out of the ordinary. As soon as I became aware of the hand I had the instant knowledge that this was a dead, disembodied hand that was clasping my arm! In a split second I was wide awake, and perched at the foot of my bed, having jumped there screaming before I even realized what I was doing. As I crouched there looking frantically for the unattached arm in the dim moonlight, it slowly sank in after several seconds that there was no way an arm could be in my bed and it must have been a dream. Even after that it took me a while to convince myself that it was safe to lie back down.

Thankfully I have had enough night time terrors like this to be able to go back to sleep fairly easily. However the memory of the certainty that I had continues to haunt me, making me wonder if it wasn't more than just a simple dream. Thank God that whatever it be whether dreams or giants we can have prefect peace in the blood of Jesus.

14 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, April 08, 2006, Blogger Claire said...

I don't mean to make light of your distress, but I have to confess- I guffawed aloud upon reading this.

I remember Andrew telling me about some trip somewhere when you, he and Ethan, were sleeping in the same room and you woke them up in the middle of the night with unearthly screaming. Yikes! The way I heard it, Ethan shot out of his bed in terror before he was even awake.

Methinks you've had one screaming 'bo too many. Your nerves are way too on edge.

 
At 7:32 PM, April 08, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

Unfortunately Claire these scream inducing dreams have been going on much longer than the 'bo's. Otherwise I could easily get rid of them.

And yes, that was the start of all the screamin' dreamin'

 
At 8:19 AM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Claire said...

I'm sorry- once again, I didn't mean to treat your night terrors so frivolously. I can only imagine how horrible it must be...

I think the part that made me laugh was when you said you were perched on the end of your bed screaming. Somehow that just sort of blended with memories of the Green Dello Skit and made for a very funny mental image.

 
At 4:32 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

Laugh all you want claire, I certainly do, at least after the fact :)

What's the green dello skit?

 
At 7:05 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Booker said...

I was wondering the same thing Claire...

 
At 8:39 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger melrandall said...

Wait, I thought you could never remember what you were dreaming when this happens... Is this the first time?

This incident reminded me of a couple times when my arm has fallen asleep at night --it's wicked creepy and disembodyish. Is it possible that you were gripping your own arm with an uncirculating other hand? and then when you woke up screaming, all the blood rushed back instantly? I don't know if that's actually possible. yes, anyway... moving on...

Hmmm... the Green Dello... I seem to remember hearing some tales that could fit under that heading.

 
At 12:19 AM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Laughter said...

Hahaha...

Ok, that laugh was for the comments, NOT your pain.

As for the dreams, that's awful, I trust they go away posthaste.

 
At 1:41 AM, April 10, 2006, Blogger lis said...

Ew! Asleep own hand is a very creepy feeling! Great suggestion, Mel, and Wes, I'm adding my wishes for nightmare-free sleep.

 
At 8:59 AM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Hey 999, Ol' 'Lanche suggests gettin' rid of the mares and only stabling stallions...

 
At 5:37 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

Melissa, that is a very possible explanation.
As for remembering the dreams, if I don't wake up until the morning, I have no idea that I've had them. If I wake myself up, or someone else wakes me up, then I'm aware of what I was just dreaming and usually remember them in the morning. Make sense? :)

Thanks for the wishes, they are appreciated. Though the dreams certainly do make for good conversations.

 
At 4:29 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Booker said...

Nice comments Bro! Keep it up...

 
At 7:35 AM, April 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting comments, ohh for the days when i too had somereal doozies for dreams, i have had only one that was so scarey that i did not want to go back to sleep for along time afterwards. but your problem may stem from your recent outburst with dr. jeckel / mr. hyde syndrome. i must say that dr.jeckel has a nicer layout than mr. hyde. your code work brought forth some interesting overlaysto view, so hope that it continues to go well, we will be observing. DELMARVA

 
At 8:28 AM, April 13, 2006, Blogger Mo said...

When I read the post, I was going to suggest what Melissa said. It reminded me of an old riddle I heard once but only half remember about a person who would wake up in the night being strangled by their own hand which had fallen asleep.

 
At 9:15 AM, April 15, 2006, Blogger Booker said...

nice background...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home