Sunday, March 12, 2006

Adventures at Work

It seems as if the last three weeks or so have been a very dry time for writable adventures but that has all been made up for within the last five days. I have at least four stories, but that would take far to long so today you'll be getting just two, both from work.

The first one happened on Thursday and didn't directly involve me. We normally start the day at six, and then take a half hour break about nine-thirty. This day as I was walking to my car to get my snack (same thing as a lunch just eaten in the middle of the morning) when I noticed one of the other guys scanning the ground, looking for something. Pretty soon he went back into the building, still looking, with his carpool buddy close behind him. After several minutes he came out, walked over to the job trailer and asked us if any of us had seen his wallet. Sometime during the morning he had lost it somewhere and couldn't find it. None of us had seen it, but we all promised to keep our eyes open for. As we sat around we made some jokes about finding it and holding it until we got a nice reward. Soon after we went back to work, we found out that the guy had spread the word and was indeed offering a very nice reward. I overheard one guy saying that a two hundred dollar reward was being promised. It made me wonder about the guy until later on when I was talking with one of my bosses. Apparently he had been talking with the loser (I'm not calling him names, I'm simply stating he was the one who lost the wallet:-)) and he had told my boss that there was over a thousand dollars in the wallet! Needless to say I felt incredible sorry for the guy and did my best to look for the wallet. Unfortunately he never found it, and if anyone else did they never turned it in. I also never heard a reason why he was carrying so much. We were all hoping that he had just accidentilly left it at home, but he come back the next day and said that it wasn't at home. He still hasn't been able to find it anywhere and is probably going to have to try and replace everything that was in it.

Don't worry the second story is much cheerier. For the past week or so I've noticed some of the younger guys yelling at each other and trying to wack each other. Thursday I found out it was an ongoing game called 'Screaming Bo'. Those of you familiar with the Pink Panther movies may remember a similar version of this game. In the movie Inspector Cleausou hires a man named Kato to try and attack him anytime, anywhere with no warning whatsoever to keep Cleausou's reflexes in tiptop shape. At least that was the reasoning. As I remember it, Cleausou was an idiot who was always getting surprised by Kato and beaten upon until he could fend him off. Well, Screaming Bo is a lot like that. At anytime, anywhere, just about anyone can come screaming out of nowhere and try to smack you with their elbow, thus the name- Screaming 'Bo. Since we're not complete barbarians there are a few rules. (1)You have to jump off of something, (2) as soon as you are in the air you have to give some warning, usually in the form of yelling out 'Bwoooww'. (3) You have to do it when they aren't expecting it, and (4) you have to try to whack them with your elbow. Other than those basic ground rules, pretty much anything goes. You can team up and lure someone into a trap, as has happened to me on several occasions. You can do super secret sneaky ninja bo, or roaring bo, or even a twirling three-sixty bo. The better the leap, surprise, or smack the greater the admiration of your fellows. Unless of course you can dodge the attack and make the attacker look silly, then you get all the admiration points.

I've only been playing it for a few days so far, but it has been tons of fun leaping off lift gates, dodging elbows, and getting startled by screaming madmen jumping at me. It is also fun to just make the other guy flinch simply by twitching your foot towards a leaping off point. This game is ideal for twenty-something males, but I would suggest it to anyone who wants to liven up their day. Bored at the office? Get a secret 'Screaming 'Bo' club together and heighten your awarness of all that is going on around you. Is the day dragging by too slowly? Make the time fly by, by ramdomly jumping at people around you and trying to wack them with your elbow. Not to mention it is a great team building exercise too. Nothing brings people together like violence. I should know, I already can't wait for tomorrow to start so I can see my work buddies.

7 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Ol' 'Lanche was wonderin' if your mid mornin' snack mayn't better be called "Second Breakfast"? ...but thet assumes you've et the first one, I suppose...

Screaming 'Bo? Thet sounds downright chummy... ...well, sorta... ...I ain't sure my ol' body is up ter thet sorta entertainment these days... ...I seem to prefer folks settin' with me in an adjoinin' rockin' chair and talkin' with me in a more peaceful like manner---why if someone came runnin' and screamin' at me I'd outa sheer reflex quite possibly just yank leather and bore 'em with my ol' hawgleg!

 
At 5:56 PM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Claire said...

One of your best posts ever! That whole screaming bo thing was an absolute riot. TOTALLY bizarre. Somehow I can't imagine you doing it.

 
At 6:27 PM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Booker said...

999-you should tell Claire[and everyone else] about some of your "bo attacks" :-) I know I found it hilarious!!!

 
At 6:29 AM, March 14, 2006, Blogger Laughter said...

I'm laughing still because I can imagine you do doing a "Screaming Bo".

I wonder what would happen if I tried it on Lisa...

*snicker*

 
At 2:16 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger lis said...

Heyyyy!

 
At 5:15 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

Cowpoke, I'll try to remember to leave the 'Bo's at home if I ever come and visit you :) As for second breakfast a great idea marred only by the fact that it is definitely lunch like food. Sandwiches and the like

Claire, it is certainly taking practice, but believe me I've gotten it down pretty good. If you come up for the feast maybe I can show you :)

Ryu, perhaps if I get starved for posts I'll give a recent accounting of the game. Today alone had several good attacks.

Laughter, I now I'm wondering what I look like in your minds eye. I almost hate to think. As for doing it to Lisa, why not? :-)

 
At 8:29 PM, March 15, 2006, Blogger melrandall said...

Boys are weird.

No, not really -- I can imagine this activity being thoroughly hysterical, though for me probably only as a spectator sport :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home