Friday, February 17, 2006

How I Almost Joined the Navy

As I mentioned in my last comment, I've been rather busy with work this last week, thus the dearth of posts. Not only have I been working overtime, but my job site has changed once again, so I have an hour's commute on each end, thus making for twelve hour day. Leave at five in the morning, and returning around five in the evening. If I were out just a little longer, I'de be able to see both sunrise and sunset :-) But enough of the excuses, on to the blog!

A few weeks ago, I was feeling really low. Work stank, school seemed useless, and I just wanted to shake things up. Ever since highschool I've always considered joining up with the armed forces, and giving the military a try. With all the dis-satisfaction in my life I was once again looking at this option only much more seriously. I had gone to a recruiter's office, gotten info on all the different branches and decided that if I was actually going to join, it would be the navy.

The only thing I lacked was a clear leading from the Lord. Only a few days after going to the recruiter's, I was transferred to a job in Portsmouth, NH. Now Portsmouth is as the name suggests a port city with lots of trade as well as a navy base where subs are made and repaired. I couldn't help but think that maybe this was my sign. I had a letter from Tom (the recruiter), and so one day after work I went down to the navy base and asked to speak with their p.r. man. He gladly saw me, gave me a tour and told me everything I wanted to know. It all seemed so right until we came to an old decommissioned submarine. The U.S.S. Albacore was launched in 1953 as an experimental sub. It was the first hydrodynamic sub and most modern day subs are patterned after it. It set several speed records and greatly improved knowledge and understanding of underwater mobile warfare. It really has quite the story and is very interesting as a submarine. I just had one little problem with it. It's name.

The albacore is nothing more than a tuna fish. Something that gets canned, shipped around the world, and eaten by hungry little kids every day. It is considered nothing more than floating food, just waiting to be caught, masticated, and digested. I'm sorry but I just can't respect something (even if it is as impressive as a sub) called lunch. Why not just call it codfish, or milquetoast. Shouldn't subs, which are basically metal tubes of death, have impressive names; names like Greyback, Grenadier,Cutlass, or Seapoacher? Or if not a name that strikes fear into our enemies at least a name that inspires our own people? Maybe USS Texas, or Virginia, Cheyenne, perhaps Carter, or the Ronald Regan. Any of these would have been fine, but instead our government names it the USS Tuna Fish.

Any government that can do that to it's own military, isn't really one that I wanted to be serving in, so with a heavy heart I walked away. After getting a good night's sleep I realized that life wasn't so bad after all and maybe I should keep on being an electrian. I realize that this may sounds like a bad April fools joke, but here are two pictures to prove that there is indeed a sub called the Albacore sitting in Portsmouth. One is a file photo (the good looking one) and one is from my phone (the blurry one). You'll see the numbers match. Or just google USS Albacore.





Now that all this excitement is over, hopefully it won't be so long between posts. Thanks for sticking with me :)

8 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, February 17, 2006, Blogger Claire said...

WOW! Wes- this is unbelieeeeevable! GREAT POST!!

 
At 9:46 AM, February 18, 2006, Blogger Booker said...

Dude, if you join the military, I am so going to kick your butt :-)

good point about the names tho. I laughed, heh, heh, heh...

 
At 10:27 AM, February 18, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

Ryu,
If I ever do end up joining, once I get out of basic I'm not sure you'de be able to :)

Besides I really doubt it would be much worse than most of the construction field is.

 
At 9:29 PM, February 19, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

Counters are a handy thing to have on a webpage. Since saturday I see that thirty people have visited, but not a single one has left any comments. How disappointing. If I thought that people wouldn't bother commenting I'm not sure I would have gone to such effort to fabricate my tale. Well, maybe this confession will bring some out :).

Yes, that's right. I never even considered joining the navy in the last several years. I'll write another actual post separating what's what in the next day or two.

 
At 8:41 AM, February 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

be sure your SINS will find you out. for some of us it sounded too real to be normal, but albacore is only one branch of the tuna family, sadly mast people say tuna not realizing that it can be a catch phrase for several levels of that fam. so enjoy eating, and next time you are stuck put tuna under your wheels for traction.

 
At 1:16 PM, February 20, 2006, Blogger Brenda Jo said...

You have lost all credibility & your reputation is toast. Remember the Albacore!

 
At 4:43 PM, February 20, 2006, Blogger drewey fern said...

Hee hee hee - very funny Brenda Jo! And Wes, I'm glad it was a fabrication since I couldn't believe you would decide your government wasn't worth serving because it named a sub after a fish! I mean, there are lots of good reasons for not going into the military, I'm sure, but the name of a sub doesn't seem like a very convincing one! :) Great post.

 
At 7:13 PM, February 20, 2006, Blogger John L said...

Thanks for fessing up -- you really had me worried.
The Albacore in Portsmouth was the third navy vessel to bear the name. The previous Albacore had a distinguished war record against the Japanese in WWII. She was lost at sea with all hands before the end of the war.
There was also a USS Tuna.
Submarines are traditionally named for fish, although that pattern has changed in recent years. The newest US Submarine is USS Jimmy Carter. Personally, I'd rather be assigned to the Tuna.
And that's all true!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home