Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Thoughts from a sleep deprived brain

If it weren't for the fact that it has already been a week since my last post, I'm not sure that this one would exist. See, I have this habit where once I get an idea for a post I like to chase that idea to the end, a well crafted blog that I feel is worthy of being posted. Unfortunately, every now and then an idea comes along that I will grab ahold of but then it refuses to be made into a post. No matter how hard I try it just comes out as a jumble of words rather than a well developed (notice I didn't say well written) entry. Sad to say, my latest post idea has turned out to be one of those obstinant jumble of words.

Saturday I was driving through snow and a couple of different times my car started to slip or slide just a little. This sort of freaked me out; I don't doubt mostly because of my accident last month. It also got me thinking about control and the way we deal with it, or the lack thereof. I had anecdotes about people not liking to be passengers in cars because they didn't have control, or others getting into self defense or becoming oddly aggresive when something they can't control takes them down for the count. Or those who just give up and just stop trying when they seem to have lost their own self control, instead of pressing on and taking it back.

I also wanted to tie in control with being a Christian, and how we ask God to take control of our lives; which is the exact opposite of what the world says. "I am the captain of my soul" vs. "Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done" Then I got to thinking about the difference between the things that we can control and the things that we can't and that's where things started to go jumbly for me. Now when I've stepped back for a few days I'm wondering, where does our power to control start and end? I can control my future by choosing who I want to marry, for example, but I can I control how happy we'll be?

I think maybe you can see why I wasn't really getting anywhere with this idea, so I guess I will have to just let this post take the place of the other half written one.
I realize that I'm better at storytelling than pontification or deep thinking, so let me just wrap it all up with this thought. Control is largely a matter of trust and everthing that I have seen in my short life so far, lets me know that I can trust God and give Him control of my life and my future.

6 Comments:

At 4:35 AM, March 01, 2006, Blogger Laughter said...

Preach it, brothah.

 
At 9:13 AM, March 01, 2006, Blogger Claire said...

Well done, Wesley. I don't think this is as jumbly as you thought it was. It was thought provoking and straight from your heart- two things that made it very blogworthy.

 
At 12:37 PM, March 01, 2006, Blogger Narniagirl said...

It might not flow like you would approve it, but it came from your heart. Very thoughtful.

 
At 10:06 PM, March 01, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

It's a good thing I know you are seven hours ahead, Laughter, otherwise I might have to start wondering about your sleeping habits :)

 
At 10:34 AM, March 02, 2006, Blogger Laughter said...

Hmmm, no kidding...

:)

 
At 5:49 PM, March 03, 2006, Blogger Booker said...

good post. *insert wise older brother words*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home