Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Inside Scoop

Okay here's the follow up post to my last one. For those of you behind the times the last post I wrote was a piece of fiction cleverly disguised as the truth (sometimes referred to as a lie :-). There was a good bit of truth mixed in it however so here is exclusive inside look at the truth behind the fiction.

Truth: Several weeks ago I was down and really didn't like where I was working.
Truth: While in highschool I considered the armed forces as an option for my future.
Truth: I was transferred to another job site which was in Portsmouth.

Here is where the fiction started to insidiously weave itself into the story. I never in the last several years seriously considered joining any branch of the A.F. and have only talked to a recuiter once. (That once was outside of a Walmart and as soon as he found out I already had a car and job that was pretty much the end of the conversation).

Truth: Portsmouth does have a naval ship yard.
Truth: There is a decommisioned submarine named the Albacore also in Portsmouth.

I've heard that the best lie is often a half-truth. That's exactly what this next part was. I don't know if the shipyard is anything more than that or not, but from what I've heard and understood it isn't. No active navy personnel are stationed there, it is simply a shipyard for the navy. I highly doubt that there are any P.R. people there that would let Joe-off-the-Street come tour the facilities. And I certainly have never set foot on the premises. The Albacore isn't in the shipyard, it is actually it's own museum which is open to the public. I don't even know where in relation to the shipyard it is. Even though it is less than two miles from my current workplace, I haven't taken the time after work to go tour it, but I would really like to.

Truth: Everything I wrote about the Albacore. Before I wrote the blog I actually went online fact finding to find out what I was about to make fun of. It was very interesting to learn about the history of the sub, though I still think it is a silly name :)
Truth: All of the names have some connection to military vessels. Virginia is actually a class of subs, and (I believe) the Ronald Regan is a Air Craft Carrier. Other than that, all of the names I used are real, factual submarines.

The last paragraph takes a little explaining. I respect my government but I don't think I would really want to directly serve it; in the military or otherwise. I also greatly respect the military and those who serve in it. I also firmly believe that naming a ship after a fish is hardly the worst thing that our government has done to its military. It certainly wouldn't be the deciding factor in a decision that big for me. As for the pictures, I only said that they proved that there was a sub named Albacore, I never said they proved I almost joined the navy. When I wrote it, I made sure I was careful how I phrased what I said.

I think that pretty much covers it. The majority of the time I will stick with the truth and what is a really going on in my life. If I do wander off again, I will be sure to let you know a day or two after the orginal posting. :)

9 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger Booker said...

you are going to burn FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

!!!!KA-SIZZLE!!!!

 
At 8:00 AM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woe unto you frail man of dust and ashes ready to be blown upon the winds of upheval.
i here by ka-chink your destiny into the void of nightmares uninteruptus.
a double * KAA--SIZZZLEE * UPON YOUR HEAD. st. busta chop iv isn,t going to out do me.!!!

 
At 6:37 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Brenda Jo said...

Oh, sure, now I believe you!!

 
At 8:57 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

:-)

 
At 1:17 PM, February 25, 2006, Blogger Laughter said...

Boy, you sound like someone else I know...

 
At 12:15 AM, February 26, 2006, Blogger melrandall said...

I underestimate the sneakiness...

 
At 1:31 PM, February 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The inside scoop you say??? I reckon I know a scoop when I see one. It's that thingy you often find in a barn for cleanin' stalls with---the inside one. I reckon ol' 'Lanche is pleased when I use it. One thing aboot ol' 'Lanche is that he's always been truthful to me---that is---when he bothers to say much attall!

 
At 2:48 AM, February 28, 2006, Blogger Laughter said...

You know, WC, it seems amazing that you've had 4,652 visitors since July 16, 2005. Are you sure you haven't been put on the national list of "Maybe if you all visit his blog frequently, he'll post more often" ? Hmmm...

:) :-Þ

 
At 5:37 PM, March 01, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

Laughter two reasons. One, rub off from my prolific brother. I don't doubt people half expect me to do the same. Two, I never write e'mails anymore so if anyone wants to know anything about what is going on with me, they are forced to come here :)

Maybe I should try and find that list though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home