Tuesday, March 21, 2006

An Odd, but no End

Once again it has been longer than I would have liked but that is what happens when you leave to go to the barrens for the weekend. Unfortunately I have to get up in the morning which means I have to go to bed soon. (I've tried getting up without going to bed, take my word for it, it doesn't work very well at all) All that to say this is going to be a quick one.

In the condo building where I stay, there is an elder lady living up on the third floor. I'm sure she is a very nice old lady, but there is one little odd thing about her. A couple of times a week she will come to her patio door (another odd thing, on this building all the condos have patio doors but no patios) and call out, 'Sir, Sir, can you tell me the time, Sir?' Very nicely, politely, and it is no trouble at all to shout the time up to her. She then thanks me, closes her door, and shuffles off into the depths of her condo. It really has me wondering though, why is it that this woman has no time keeping piece?

There are several theories ongoing at this point. She could be really poor and not afford to buy one; but I threw that one out as being too boring. She could be paranoid that her enemies will try to sneak a bomb in disguised as a clock and try to kill her; that got thrown out as being far to cool to be likely. My mom suggested that she was simply lonely and trying to get human contact; but that didn't seem to fit well enough for me, so I threw that one out as well. And now I'm out of theories. Feel free to leave your thoughts about the Mystery of the Watchless Woman.
If any of you come up with some good ideas, maybe I'll steal them and write a best selling book. I already have a great title, now all I need is a story to go with it.

8 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

The answer may lie somewhere among the thoughts generated by a very long cruise in your Corvette roadster with the top down on a very pleasant warm sunny day... 8~)

 
At 10:50 AM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Claire said...

You know what? I think it's weirder that there are no patios with those patio doors than that the old lady has no watch. I mean- that is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Maybe she has TONS of clocks and has to synchronize them every day...and she wants an outside source to give her the accurate time...What I want to know is, doesn't she have a phone to call the operator with? Operators will tell you the time...I think you should go up and give her some cinnamon rolls sometime and check out her apartment...It would make a great blog!

 
At 9:15 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

'Lanche, I like that idea :)

Claire, Unfortunately the builders were way ahead of you. All the doors have an iron railing across them. Otherwise this would be a pretty exciting place. As for the cinnamon rolls idea, I might just have to try that. It certainly would make good blog fodder.

 
At 10:18 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Brenda Jo said...

I say she's forgetful and lonely. I wonder if this was a custom "in her day" for starting a conversation.

 
At 11:07 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger CKS said...

a. she has a major crush on you

b. her watch is set to Jerusalem time and she's tired of trying to figure out what time it is in the USA but too stubborn to switch back.

 
At 3:49 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger Marie said...

When she was young, your age... she loved this boy and the only way she could make contact with him was to go out and ask what time it was. You see her father was very paticular about knowing the correct time and he wanted an outside source to verify the time, each morning.

So she'd volunteer each morning to get the time. She would rendevous with this young man without her overbearing papa knowing. They would meet on the balcony above the tiny family apartment. The families lived in the Italian ghetto section of New York. The balcony was secluded and out of view because of all the dingy colorless laundry hanging between the apartment buildings. She would steal some precious moments with him and get the correct time.

One day as she was rendevousing with her secret beau, there in the secluded balcony, her father caught them. Her father wounded the boy right on the spot. The boy was hospitalized for many months. When he was well enough he joined the military cause he was too afraid to come back and face her papa. She never married.

For all these years she's stayed true to the memory of her first love, the boy who would tell her the time.

Since then she lost her mind. Now that you're around, it's brought up that memory of him, because he looks like you, he had blond hair. So actually she thinks you're this unadentified young man she loved so many years ago. So never stop telling her the time. If you did she'd be heart broken and would possible never recover if she knew the truth that you aren't him. I promise this story is true. (she told me herself...)

 
At 7:04 AM, March 24, 2006, Blogger Laughter said...

*blink*

wow story.

:-D

 
At 5:07 PM, March 25, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

Thanks for all the great ideas. When I write my book about this I'll try to remember to put you all in the "Thanks to all the people who..." part of the introduction. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home