Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Bragging Rights

This is going to stay a short post. Partly because I need to be in bed, and also partly to balance out the last one.

I just want to say that after 11 months of slogging through it, I have finally finished reading 'War and Peace'!!! It was truly a struggle of titanic proportions, but I have conquered the unconquerable and joined the ranks of the priviledged few. If it weren't for the spreading out or my odd inability to put down a book once I've started it, I don't know if I could have done it, but with time and the encouragement of others it was completed. I think it will be quite a while before I attempt anything close to that long again. :)


And as a postscript here is a fullfillment of a bargain. I let curiousity get the better of me so here is a little game. Leave your name or id yourself somehow in a comment and...
1. I'll respond with something I like about you.
2. I'll tell you what song or movie reminds me of you.
3. I'll ask you a question.
4. I'll tell you my first/clearest memory of you.
5. I'll say something that only makes sense to you and me.
6. I'll describe our final fight to the death.
7. If I do this for you, you must post this on your blog.

9 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger maldrich said...

I'm all for your little game. Sounds fun! And...I'll check another person off the list of "people who read ridiculously long books merely for pride's sake" and some how end up more intelligent in my eyes anyway.

Oh...anyone for chicken burritos??? I have a ton of them in my freezer, just sitting there... :-)

 
At 9:35 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger maldrich said...

Tooo bad....there all trip. 9's. WHoooohooo for ceiling fans!

 
At 11:18 AM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Laughter said...

Wow, ma, you are a tad hyper today.

Way to go, W.C., I haven't read W&P yet... shame on me. You should try Crime and Punishment next.

 
At 5:39 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger drewey fern said...

I applaude thee! Wow. I haven't read War and Peace - or anything by Tolstoy for that matter (shame on me, too!). But Crime and Punishment I did do, and highly recommend it for next time you feel like being in bondage to long and difficult books. Then you'll probably want to read the killer term paper I wrote on it! :)

 
At 11:06 AM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Hey 999---How about The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire???

Actually I ain't never read any of these afore mentioned titles---I'd rather stick with Zane Grey!

Currently reading "The Magician's Nephew"---ain't read the Narnia series since 1968 or so... 8~)

 
At 3:12 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger lis said...

*wonders what the longest book she ever read was and doesn't succeed in remembering

*feels impressed with some people's attention spans!

 
At 8:03 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Cara said...

Way to go fellow War and Peace reader! I finishe Part Six today, almost halfway through. I haven't found it nearly as hard as I had expected; in fact, I'm enjoying it. We'll see how long this lasts. Anyway, congratulations on finishing it. I'm looking forward to the day where I can say the same thing on my blog.

 
At 10:31 PM, May 06, 2006, Blogger Shay Dawg said...

Hey Wes...my mom wants to know if you'll fix our light when you come down here and install a ceiling fan?? no pressure.

 
At 8:06 PM, May 07, 2006, Blogger TripleNine said...

thanks for the suggestions, y'all. I have actually read C&P though quite a long time ago. I don't really remember much about it so a refresher reading might not be a bad idea.

Ma.. Woohoo for burrito's, especially homemade ones.

Cara hope that you enjoy it all the way to the end. Hope you make it all the way through too.

Shay I'll e'mail you later to get some more info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home