Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Who Has Two Thumbs...?

Forget halloween, what is really scary is how fast time can speed by. I wasn't planning on letting more than three days before posting again, but here it is already over a week. Normally I would try to do think of some clever segway into the real topic but since I'm leaving for school in less than thirty minutes I don't really have the time. So suffer! :)

In the last three weeks I have been entertained by a very good movie and a very good theater peformance (think play). The movie, Batman Begins, in my opinion was excellent. Most of the time I wait for movies to come out on video before I watch them so that is why I have just seen it for the first time. The writers and director did a great job of taking a myth, and looking at it in such a way as to say, 'If this were real, what would it be like? How would it be done? How would this be possible in real life?' They made the Batman legend real, believeable, and possible. The music was well done. Noticeable when it should have been but also in the background just adding that need edge at other times. There was a definite theme throughout the movie, keeping it unified.

I will admit here to being a Batman fan, so even though I thought the movie very well done, I had to occasionally remind myself that (a. this movie was about the beginning of Batman, and (b. where they strayed from the D.C. storyline really wasn't that important. I.E., the piano being the entrance to the batcave instead of the grandfather clock. (I now have a much better understanding of people who critize movies when they stray away from the original than I did before.)

And it was clean. No sexuality, no violence to speak of (fighting yes, but nothing that would make a person wince or cringe), and very little language (if you think in terms of levels of bad language, the worst was d**m). So overall I would recommend it to just about anybody, and give it both my thumbs up.

As for the play, you'll have to wait until another time. I'm a slow writer and now I have to leave for class.

6 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, November 02, 2005, Blogger Booker said...

Well, adding my two cents, I thot Liam Neesam[?] was a fabulous Raz Al Gul. And Christian Bale wasn't bad either :) It was cool seeing earlier versions of a familiar legend...

 
At 8:04 PM, November 03, 2005, Blogger Mo said...

I saw it last July. It was by far the best movie I saw all summer, with Kingdom of Heaven coming in at a distant second.

I really liked the way the fight sequences were choreographed - all shadows and streaks of motion - It's a nice change from seeing every gory or cheesy little detail like in most of the sub-par post Matrix stuff. It really gave an impression of why Batman can freak people out so much. And Christian Bale is awesome. A better Batman there has never been.

 
At 7:24 PM, November 04, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

Yeah, Alfred was really funny.
As for the fight scences, personally I would have preferred a little slower and detailed. Though I hadn't really thought of the why behind the way it was done before. Nice observation.

 
At 9:57 PM, November 04, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

No deep insights, just like to say I enjoyed it a lot. :)

 
At 7:36 PM, November 05, 2005, Blogger Booker said...

999- Liam was Schindler! which is why you thot he looked like him :)

 
At 10:25 PM, November 06, 2005, Blogger Aaron said...

I liked Batman Begins a lot, too. The only exposure I had ever had to Batman before was some positively ridiculous movie done some time in the seventies, so although I had little to compare the new one to, it was far better than what I did have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home