Saturday, September 03, 2005

Testing, Testing, 1,2,3...

A quick warning to the faint of heart, this post is about blood. No, nothing torturous or violent simply my adventures in trying to donate it.

Several weeks ago when I went to donate blood I picked up a brochere about donating platelets. I became interested mostly because the picture on the front really reminded me of my sister when she had leukemia. When I called the local Red Cross Center I was told that I would have to come in and get tested to see if I was eligible. I made an appointment and after work did my best to get there on time. Normally it would have been a fifteen minute drive but I had forgotten my map and wasn't completely sure of the way so it ended up taking almost half an hour. Thankfully I made it in time.

Since I was already a whole blood donor they already had all my info that they needed so the only thing I filled out was a release form stating that I knew the risks and I was willing to take them. Things like soreness, dizzyness, and the like. I was surprised that I had to do this as they were only taking a tablespoon for testing purposes. I assumed that they were competent though so I wasn't to worried. As the nurse was prepping me she was telling me all about the process. Interestingly enough the procedure of straining the platelets has its own name, pheresis. Also the Manchester branch has one of the most advanced pheresis centers in the nation, not only in equipment but also in nurses training. She assured me that I was in able hands.

As she was prepping me she was telling me that unlike a persons iron count the platelet count doesn't normally vary. Whatever your count at birth pretty much stays the same until your death. The only thing that really makes it vary is ibuprofen. So I can't take any 48-72 hours before I go in and donate. After she found my vein, the nurse took the tablespoon needed.

Quick aside here, I've found that I have a very coveted body:) I always, literaly, get compliments when I go in to either give blood, (great veins), or get my hair cut, (fine and blonde). It is amazing how much my attitude has changed because of it. I almost like getting my haircut now :)

No, she didn't use an actual spoon, just a small vial. And that was it. This happened Tuesday and yesterday I got a call saying that I had the neccesarry count. They need at least a count of 150 and I had 185. However I was told that men are often deceptive (NO SMART COMMENTS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!) so even though I apparently qualify I might not later on. I'm scheduled to go in Tuesday for my first donating session. It apparently takes about ninety minutes to take the blood out, strain the platelets out and then put it back in. Sounds gross I know, but I'm actually looking forward to it. Here's hoping for many years of donating ahead of me!

14 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, September 04, 2005, Blogger Booker said...

Cool! Nothing like a little ego stroking to make you feel on top of the world, eh? But as for the haircut thing, I still wouldn't like them no matter WHAT they said to me :)

 
At 2:32 PM, September 04, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

What fun! I've always wanted (in a relative sense) to give platelets! No need to feel chuffed, however. Haha...

 
At 7:18 PM, September 04, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

Well, I didn't mention that my barber is a pretty christian woman who only charges half of what a regular shop would, that also makes a big difference.

Chuffed?

 
At 8:37 PM, September 04, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

*Rolls eyes*

Chuffed: adj : very pleased; "I'm chuffed to have won"

Also used as a expression of 'good' pride. "God saw everything He had made, and behold it was very good."

 
At 9:13 PM, September 04, 2005, Blogger brilynne said...

Good for you, Wesley! I've been interested in platelets, but I figure I should actually give whole blood before i even think about the fancy stuff. And do you know why they need platelets and not whole blood sometimes? I can't quite figure that out.

 
At 5:46 PM, September 05, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

The only reason I can think of right off is for cancer patients who have trouble producing their own. Other than that I'll ask.

I looked it 'chuffed' up and have to ask, where in the world are you picking up English slang? Also thanks for not calling me a chuff. ;)

 
At 6:01 PM, September 05, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

There's more than one place to pick up slang, english or otherwise, thank you very much.

 
At 1:43 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger maldrich said...

Sorry to take so long in responding, but woman with no shoes responds to man with no humility...ahem..."fine and blonde"? I think that refers to the texture and color of your hair, though if you would rather it refer to your face and brain capacity, we can work that out too.

 
At 1:46 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger maldrich said...

Thanks for the compliment by the way...and I'm a NO for platelet giving. I thought that "bleeding" or "blood letting" people was a thing of the past! Ugh! I hate the idea, plus, many times I wouldn't even be eligible since I have such low blood pressure, so I guess I'm off the hook

 
At 9:24 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

A thing of the past? Maldrich don't you realize it is very biblical to give blood. Here's my take on it.

A. The blood is the life (Lev.17:11)

B. Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends (Jh. 15:13)

C. Who is my friend? (Jh 10:29-37)

All right, a bit of a stretch, but why not?

Fine and blonde, ahhh yes I was thinking of my hair when I said that :)

 
At 11:45 AM, September 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving blood and specifically platelets, Wes. When Bethany had leukemia, she had to have a couple of blood transfusions but even more times needed platelet transfusions. To put it in a nutshell... a person with too few platelets, or whose platelets are faulty, may bleed to death.
Love, Mom

 
At 10:12 AM, September 09, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

Did you know that 'blonde' is a french word and the spelling with an 'e' is the feminine form?

eeehee...

 
At 8:31 PM, September 10, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

That last comment was meant to be a joke. :)

 
At 5:23 PM, September 11, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

Don't worry I wasn't offended. Any language that assigns different genders to different body part is pretty much a joke in its self.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home