Saturday, August 06, 2005

Part three

I'm starting to realize that if I don't finish this that I will never go on to write anything else so I had better get this done. However to fairly warn you it is going to be really long. I believe that I ended last time with the recieving line. I hadn't seen my cousin for four year and now I was seeing him again in a recieving line next to his new wife. It was definitely a bit odd. Amanda was very friendly and open and when she found out I was family she said, ' Oh, you're family? Then you get a hug.' She is definitely not a Jones, but I think she will be good for us, er Graham. When every one had gone through the wedding party and the families of the bride and groom drove away for pictures in a nearby park.

I have to say right hear that one thing the English know how to do is make a park. Here in America a park is usually a grassy place with a few trees and often some playground equipment. The english however have perfected parks in the form of Victorian gardens. Not only is there grass but there are crushed gravel pathways, all manner of trees and bushes usually with an identifying sign, often small ponds or streams, and usually water fowl-ducks, swans and the like. And everything is all arranged too. No haphazardness, neat and orderly with benches scattered about so that people can sit and enjoy it all. I first experienced these in Israel and the one in Halifax was even better. All this is to say that this is where they went to take all of their pictures. We found out that it was a very popular day to get married. While they were there at least four other parties came into the garden and several others drove by. All I can say is that it did not make me look forward to getting married. Way to much time expected of you in front of the camera.

Everyone was relieved when it was all done and they zoomed back to the church to get the reception started. As I mentioned in part two, it has been five years since the last wedding I attended. This also applies to reception. Also the only receptions I've been to have been for people in my christian fellowship. So almost everything that happened was new. We visited with friends and talked over turkey dinners, with blueberry shortcake for dessert. The cake was assembled out of cupcakes and instead of giving the guests slices of cake everyone was given an individually cupcake. It was pretty cool. Afterwards the tables got shoved back and then the fun started.

First there was the traditional throwing of the bouquet, but then instead of that being the end the groom threw something too. He took off his wife's garter and threw it to all the single guys though I'm not sure who was more embarrased at having to do it, him or us. What happened next? The poor fellow who caught the thing had to put it on the girl who had caught the bouquet. Poor innocent that I am I had no idea these things happened and was incredibly grateful that I was in no part of it. Finally the dancing started. I wasn't planning on doing any but my cousin pulled my out onto the floor so I danced for a song. It really was a wedding of firsts. I was uncomfortable mostly because I didn't know what I was doing, and also felt like a doofus. Dancing is something were practice definitely makes perfect, though personally I would rather walk through a major city in flaming pajama bottoms than have more practice :-)
I left with my Aunt and Uncle sometime shortly before ten but I heard that the party went on until well after midnight.

Well there you go. Obviously these are only the high lights from one person's point of view but I hope you enjoyed them. It was really good to see some of family and friends who I hadn't seen in years and made me realize that it wasn't such a huge deal to travel up there and back, at least not now when I'm still single and by myself. My congratulations to Graham and Amanda and my thanks to God for watching over me the whole time. Also my thanks to my Aunt and Uncle for their hospitality and the way the made me feel so welcome and at home. Maybe sometime in the future there will be another series of posts about some exciting travels somewhere else. Any suggestions? :-)

8 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, August 06, 2005, Blogger Booker said...

Sounds like quite the time. I never got the garter thing myself. I've seen it on movies and stuff, but have always wondered when, where and how the tradition started. Definitely NOT something I am planning on happening at my wedding :)

Oh, here's the link you wanted:
http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=17565214125862764376

 
At 7:51 PM, August 06, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

Woohoo, thanks Wes for adding the end to your story. Twas well done and interesting...

too bad you didn't wear those flaming pants while you danced... that would have been a sight!

 
At 9:50 PM, August 06, 2005, Blogger Claire said...

WOW! Wesley- I'm impressed! How did you attract such a...WORDS FAIL ME...to comment on your blog! I am jealous! By the way, thanks for concluding your nuptual - or is it nuptial- tale of adventure. I liked the bit about how you'd rather walk about in flaming pj bottoms than dance...and it created a funny mental picture in my mind as I put myself in the place of someone who doesn't know what you're referring to. All I could picture was you wearing some flannel pj's that were actually on fire walking calmly along a city street. Watch out, world! Here comes Wes!

 
At 3:32 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger Booker said...

Claire, don't be impressed by thot and humor. he is just a blogsurfer. he left some stuff on mine awhile ago, and never came back. But i must admit, i got nothing like Wes got!

 
At 3:44 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

claire, don't be too impressed. I've seen this guy on other site's and three quarters of what is there is just a signature that goes on everything he writes. Personally I find it slightly annoying.

 
At 6:12 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger drewey fern said...

Your English garden comment fit in perfectly with a discussion I was having with my parents last night! I was telling them about how the Victorians thought nature had to be perfected by man, or tamed, or restored. Thus, a well ordered garden was more natural than a field of wildflowers or something. Cool!

 
At 11:07 AM, August 10, 2005, Blogger Alexandria The Great said...

I don't want to do the garter thing at my American wedding either...
too shy..&*^_^*&

 
At 12:54 PM, August 11, 2005, Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

And Americans got into the trying to tame nature bit as well. Ironically, the building of the Erie Canal was one of those things that many contemporaries looked upon as a perfecting of nature. I'm sure they were latching onto the Victorian idea. It's interesting to note that it crossed the Atlantic. (I knew you all were dying to know this!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home