Saturday, July 09, 2005

Bear Hunting

Well as I promised, several blogs will be forthcoming about my trip north and the many experiences that happened therein. This shall be the first. The trip up was rather easy. I made it in two days, splitting the distance by stopping in Maine and staying with my Uncle Rick and Aunt Kathy. They have an incredible camp on the lake which they have turned into a year round residence. When I arrived it was too late to enjoy the great outdoors so we had a good time visiting. During our conversations it came up that they had just been up to Nova Scotia and while there had gone bear watching. Apparently the black bear population where I was headed is quite large and growing every year. He had been lucky enough to see four bear in the space of less than an hour, including a mother and her cub. Needless to say this excited me greatly and made me look forward to being up there even more. I left late the next day (I'm thinking about making a blog about all the driving, so I'll leave the boring details out here) and arrived at my destination about eight, local time. With Canada's time being an hour ahead of our own there was still plenty of time for a bear hunting expedition. As bears are dangerous creatures, it was decided that only the bravest and strongest of the men should go. Thus armed only with our eyes and a pair of binoculars my Uncle Phil and I set off. We drove around talking and looking mostly to no avail. We had two false alarms, a blocky wheel (don't ask, just accept it) and a dark bush in the distance. As we were giving up hope we spotted a large black object in road up ahead. It was far enough away that we couldn't tell so we slow down and whipped out the binocs. It was tall, and it was black but it was also just a stack of tires around a mailbox pole. Disappointed yet again, we persevered and drove on. A few minutes later, Success! A large black animal was sitting in the yard in front of somebody's house. Almost certainly we had cornered our prey at last. Large, black, pointy muzzle, and rounded head; we slowed down to get a good look at. It saw us and was watching us as we slowed down to a crawl, but didn't run away. The road was clear so when we were directly across from it we stopped. As soon as we stopped, it jumped up and started barking at us. We just had to laugh and shake our heads. We drove back home not seeing any bear (we did however see a racoon, a distant cousin to the bear) disappointed but happy for a good opportunity to visit and spend some time with each other. So all was well since it ended well, just like this post.

16 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, July 09, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

Hahahaa...

 
At 6:23 PM, July 09, 2005, Blogger Booker said...

Only the bravest and strongest? So what were YOU doing along? Hehehehee. Glad you weren't eaten anyway...

 
At 2:42 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

The only reason I was on that dance floor was to make my cousin happy. I only danced for one song and felt like a buffoon for most of it. I can see why drinking and dancing go together, one wouldn't happen without the other :) Sources, eh? Who would that be?

 
At 2:43 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

Laughter, very nice with the whole ... I'm almost starting to feel threatened.

 
At 5:11 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger Linds said...

Poor Wes- I know what it's like to not see bears when one wants to. Every time I go home I look for the amazing quadripeds, and every time I miss out! Glad you had a good time regardless!

 
At 6:19 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

Oh, but no. I was not seeking to threaten you this time...

It was more of a "I could keep typing my laughter, but it would become really boring for those reading" kind of thing.

Maybe if you stopped trying to sight a bear, you might just run into one when you weren't expecting it. Like outside in the dark or something equally horrible.

 
At 6:20 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

Wow, I have an evil mind.

huh.

 
At 6:26 PM, July 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I keep mistaking wheels and trees for bears too....

 
At 8:51 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

I did meet a dragon this weekend. I think it's name was Ray-Ray. That was almost as scary as a bear in a dark alley.hahahaha

 
At 2:32 AM, July 11, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:03 AM, July 11, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

...

 
At 3:29 PM, July 11, 2005, Blogger Mo said...

As for the bears... I live here and I've only seen a bear afew times.

As for the dancing, well, at least you tried, even if you were miserable the whole time, so thank you. It took about three and a half hours and about fifteen or twenty people pleading with him to finally get Wang (one of the groomsmen) to dance.

But I would really like to hear who this mysterious source is...

 
At 6:46 PM, July 11, 2005, Blogger Booker said...

Man, you got some serious commenting going on here! Nice...

 
At 9:50 PM, July 12, 2005, Blogger Booker said...

And just wanted to say 999, I like your new avatar, much cooler than the other one...

 
At 11:29 AM, July 13, 2005, Blogger Shay Dawg said...

I'll have to admit that I was a little confused for about 20 seconds. Bears bark?? Then I finally figured it out. You can't blame me though, when I saw a cub it was making this barking/wailing so it's not my fault.

 
At 12:29 PM, July 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bears do bark, but only when "999" is looking for them and at night with apair of unknown binocs in his shaky hands. congrats on the hunt, what a journey driving over the ice floes this time of year, the nights up there must really be black to turn a polar into a blackie, but was that before or after the dance floor syndyg.??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home