Friday, September 16, 2005

Just Another Student

Uneventful weeks do not make for good writing, at least for lazy writers. I suppose I could make something up to entertain you all, but this is the closest thing I've ever kept to a journal so I like trying to keep it real. Beware though, one of these days, I might just throw something totally bogus in, just to mess with you.:)

About the only thing blog worthy is that along with millions of other people I have once again started school. However, I am lucky enough not to have to attend all day classes, like most. To enlighten some and remind others I am an electrician in training. Here in New Hampshire that training comes in two parts. Part one is on the job training usually forty hours a week. Lucky for me that training is called work, so not only do I learn but I also get paid for doing it. The second part, is classroon training. Twice a week, I pack up my bookbag and head off to school. Thankfully I don't have to bring a lunch. Since I work during the day, I (and everyone one else there) attend night classes, two evenings a week; this year that happens to be Tuesday and Thursday nights. They usually run from six to nine but often we get out by eight-thirty or so.

Last year we were taught about the residential aspects of electricity and this year we are going to be learning all about the commercial parts. I'm kind of nervous because I don't deal with anything commercial so I'm not seeing during the day what I'm hearing about during class. However the teacher I have is a great one. For those who would know, he reminds me very much of Steve Demme both in physical appearance as well as personality. He is a big guy, moves around a lot and is very personable and approachable. He has been doing commercial work for the last nine or ten years and teaching for the last four, so he is very competent and knows what he is doing both at the job and in the classroom, which is a huge deal. (Last year we had an industrial electrician try to teach us residential, not the best fit). I have a feeling he is going to make the mysterious understandable.

This first week has been introduction and refreshment. We went over the rules and expectations on Tuesday and got out at seven-thirty; Thursday we went over basic math, some algebraic formulas needed in elec. theory and then reviewed how to solve for unknowns in different circuits, getting out about eight-thirty. Next week we get our first test, on solving combination circuits. Yeah, I know this was really dry and boring but if you wanted exciting and entertaining you'de be watching tv, wouldn't you?

6 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, September 17, 2005, Blogger Booker said...

You know, you shouldn't be so modest. I'd saying meeting with the Prez, discussing oil prices with the Sheik and talking about our obvious trade imbalance with Chinese diplomats qualifies as exciting. At least worth a mention. :)

 
At 1:16 PM, September 17, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

Well it isn't like I'm going to tell all the really embarrasing things that happen. Like how I was working on a live circuit, touched a wire to my ladder and shocked myself off. No damage other than to my pride; I don't think so.

 
At 1:54 PM, September 17, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

I did something like that once! I was replacing the innards of a light switch and bumped the screw driver against a live wire and it took a chunk out of the shaft. Fireworks! The only reason I wasn't knocked into next Tuesday was because I had my hand on the rubber handle of the tool.

 
At 9:37 PM, September 17, 2005, Blogger TripleNine said...

Actually I'm just yanking your chain. It really has been a very quiet boring week :)

Thanks for the good story though :)

 
At 7:32 AM, September 18, 2005, Blogger lis said...

Thanks, W. Now I have another hard, cold, exciting fact to share with my reluctant math student. They use it for electricity!

 
At 1:15 PM, September 18, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

Oh great, now I'm the one with the damaged pride.

Thanks a lot, WC!

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home