Monday, October 10, 2005

Painting the Town Red

Just in case you don’t know me, let me enlighten you about how much of a party guy I am. Today was/is my birthday (THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH for your kind words and thoughts) and boy did I have a rip up day. :-)

It started out about five-thirty with me getting up for work. Yes I worked on a holiday. I was given a choice of either today off or the day after Thanksgiving. After giving it much thought, I decided to go for the four day weekend instead of the three. Before I took off I opened a birthday card from my sister and was cheered immensely by the goofy message. I then worked a nine hour day and came home. My brother came over and we opened cards, hung out and then as a favour he played some X-box with me. After he left I had a birthday dinner of cherry pie and chocolate chip cookies, which my sister baked as a present for me. Okay, very quiet and laid back I know, but the best is yet to come.

After dinner, I set out to go bowling. By myself. Which is great because then I have no competition and always win! Of course on the other hand….. So I get to the bowling alley and the parking lot is packed. After searching diligently I spied a spot in the corner, park, and walk in. Only to find out it is league night and every single lane is full and will be full for the next several hours. I couldn’t help but laugh.

On the way I home I stopped at a new Target that had just opened two days ago and wandered around for a bit just checking it out. It was a huge store! But it simply reinforced my opinion of them; a Walmart for moneyed snobs. People who like the great prices of a Walmart but are to proud to be seen in one. This is a generalization as I know people who like Target and aren’t moneyed snobs, my cousin being one of them.

And now I’m writing, content in the knowledge that I have friends who like me, or at least tolerate my presence, and a family that loves me. That’s what really makes a great birthday.

9 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, October 10, 2005, Blogger melrandall said...

Quick! It's not too late! [crawls out of her Lyme-disease induced feverish stupor]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WESLEY!!! I'm glad you had a cheery, laid-back sort of a day filled with happy things like cherry pie! Thank you for your friendship, and thanks for sticking the course as you have. Many happy returns and innumerable blessings on your head this coming year!

[climbs back into her stupor and staggers off to bed...no, don't worry-- I'm not really all that bad off, but it sure is a good, legit excuse for not wishing you a proper happy birthday before now as I would have liked] :)

 
At 11:25 PM, October 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy late birthday Wesley..I missed telling you on your b-day by 25 mins.. Hope it was a good one and may God bless you this year

 
At 5:06 AM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Booker said...

whew, glad I decided to NOT go bowling with you :) lol. Glad you had a good time overall tho! :)

 
At 10:00 AM, October 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

paint the town red with cherry pie and c c cookies, now that,s a trip.!! did you pound your bro w/x-box action ? how does it feel to be 45 and yet only look like sweet 16?? .i hpoe the rest of your year goes as well as your great day did. chaio

 
At 4:58 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Mo said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! Glad you had fun...

 
At 5:07 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger maldrich said...

Happy Birthday W.C. I thought about you and prayed for you, but I was having some trouble with the computer and thus postponed birthday wishes until today. God bless your year!

 
At 7:37 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Belated birthday wishes! Glad to hear the day went ok. Hope your year is even better!

 
At 10:28 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Laughter said...

Wahoo. Guess I get to join the Belated crowd.

Happy birthday, W. C., We (the royal 'We', thank you very much) are glad you had a good one. Many happy returns. :-)

 
At 1:03 PM, October 12, 2005, Blogger CKS said...

Waaaah! I'm the worst friend ever! Wesley, when I went to bed Monday night at 1:15 after excessive studying (weep for me now), I froze in horror as I walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth because I hadn't wished you a happy birthday! Oh, the guilt! The conviction! Then I promptly forgot about it and am only reminded of my errors by this post.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Or, HAPPY BEING 23! (since the day is forever in the past) I hope every day of the coming year is wonderful, full of good stuff and fun toys and doting people and money provided and desires answered and on and on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home