Friday, August 04, 2006

Water Boy

Well I know that I said the last one was only temporary, so I'de better hurry and get the real one posted.

Once again I have realized that summer for me isn't ice cream, watermelon, or fireworks. It is simply water. Whether it is lying on a sunny sandy beach next to the ocean, or riding in a boat on top of a placid lake, or even simply floating in a pool with friends, my summer isn't complete without it.

Two weeks ago I was in Maine enjoying my Uncle and Aunt's all year camp on a lake. Ten minutes after arriving I hopped into one of their kayaks and started paddling around. Even though it was just a short ride (maybe ten minutes) it immediately started the tension, stress, and ill feeling flowing away. An hour or so later my uncle, dad, and I went out in the power boat to do a little riding and sporting.

Regardless of being out of shape and very out of practice, it was just about the best part of the summer ever (only the trip to florida topped it). We started off with tubing which is always a classic and when you have a clear lake and a good driver it is one of the greatest watersports ever. After several harrowing runs, impressive wipeout, and courageous triumphs, we took a break and just did some cruising.
Then I was introduced to a most incredible new (to me) sport. Kneeboarding! Similar to a bodyboard it has a padded section in the middle on which you sit with your legs underneath you. It definitely takes some effort to get established, but once you're on, hang on because you're in for a ride. Riding out to the sides, jumping the wake, and even spinning 180's and 360's! I can't say I was perfect, but I did a couple of impressive tricks, and got some serious air on a couple of jumps. We were out for several hours and when we got back I told my uncle, 'Now my summer is complete.'
(The only drawback was the next day, when I was sore all day long and felt totally beat up).

This last week (where it has been so hot) I, my brother, and my cousin have been able to spend some quality bonding time in a friend's pool. Sometimes nothing more than floating motionless, cooling off, hits exactly the right spot. And then every now and then it needs some spicing up with dives, cannonballs, or noodle wars.Not to mention silly pranks like throwing someone else's clothes in the water while they aren't looking.

So even though it is said that the way to a mans heart is through his stomach, I say just toss me in a lake and I'll be a happy man. Uummm, that doesn't sound quite right. Just buy me a kayak and that will be good. :-)

5 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Booker said...

I'll toss you in a pool all right! :-)

 
At 11:02 AM, August 05, 2006, Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Three cheers for your aunt and uncle's camp. I have many happy memories of that place...before it was theirs...even before there was a building on it!

 
At 12:39 PM, August 05, 2006, Blogger Laughter said...

Swimming...

I haven't had the pleasure since Florida.

Poor me.

 
At 8:37 AM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Are you growing scaly skin and sporting gills yet??? 8~)

 
At 11:25 PM, August 20, 2006, Blogger Aaron said...

Do you STILL like water? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home