Sunday, December 23, 2007

Nightmares & Dreamscapes

As many of you know for several years (at least that I've known about) I have had on occasion extreme nightmares that often spill out of just my sleep and sometimes wake other people up. I just figured that all they were was nightmares. Then a month or so ago I was re-introduced (through facebook) to a person that I had known in my childhood. One day I noticed that she had joined a group about a sleeping disorder known as sleeping paralysis. I was curious, ended up looking at the group to see what it was about and then went on to explore other sleep disorders. One of which was something called Night Terrors. Most of the symptoms fit what happens to me, so on self-diagnosis I would say that this is something that I have.

One of the symptoms is that the dreamer usually doesn't remember what happened the night before in the morning. USUALLY.Sometimes though if woken up in the middle of the night because of the terror, they can remember small portions or impressions. A few nights ago, this was exactly the case.

Even though I wasn't fully conscious I knew I was out of bed and fighting for my life. As soon I was free from those trying to entangle me, I bolted out of my bedroom into the hallway only to spin around and face my bedroom when I reached the end of the hall. Bending at the knees and curling my hands into fists, I waited for the enemy to come boiling out of my bedroom door towards me! I was ready and waiting for them. My heart was pounding and I was sweating freely. As I waited, the fog started to lift and I realized that I was crouched in the hallway waiting for a completely imaginary foe. There was nothing in my room trying to kill me and there was certainly nothing that would be coming out after me. Even though I was now fully awake my heart was still pounding and I was breathing as hard as if I had just fought a real battle. Because of the reality of my feelings I grabbed a flashlight off of my desk and went back into my room to make absolutely certain it had all just been a dream. As I flashed the light around I saw that everything had been stripped off my bed and was lying tangled on the floor; sheets, blankets, pillows, all of it was strewn across the room. I remade my bed but was honestly to scared to get back in right away. So I tried to remember what I had been fighting.

I knew from past experience that if I didn't try and remember right then what I had been dreaming I would forget all about it in the morning. First was the overwhelming sense of evil and harmful intent, second was that they were soft and fuzzy. The more I thought about it the more I could piece together until I was able to mostly remember. The enemy I had been fighting were evil leech-like washcloths with tongues like frogs that they would shoot out, attach to me, (then using that pull themselves in) latch on to me and start drinking my blood. Needless to say a fearsome foe.

Finally after a few minutes I got back into bed and fell back asleep only to wake up a few hours later to my alarm going off and telling me I had to start another day.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, December 24, 2007, Blogger maldrich said...

Hmmm, though I don't struggle with this anymore, you painted an all too familiar picture of things I remember as a child. I think I will pray that you and your terrors are parted just as mine were, thanks to Jesus.

Hope your having a great Christmas, by the way.

 
At 4:58 PM, December 25, 2007, Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

What have you been reading or watching? Sounds like a bad horror flick from the 80s...hmmmm...

check out Psalm 91:5 (actually, the whole chapter has great comfort) Hope this helps.

p.s. Merry Christmas!

 
At 10:02 PM, December 27, 2007, Blogger TripleNine said...

M, I had no idea you had similar experiences. Glad you've parted company though.

Zan, nice to see you still check here. Oddly enough watching/reading stuff doesn't seem to affect me as much as you might think. More stress and disordered routines.

 
At 3:35 AM, January 22, 2008, Blogger ahappywife said...

be careful wes, for kirk in Gilmore Girls night terrors involved streaking through town buck naked!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home